Blog by Melissa and David Sokulski, L.Acs.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Wellness Wednesday - Fresh Juices

So, many of you know that I am embarking on a juice feast, which means I am feasting (not fasting!) on the juices of fruits and veggies and lots and lots of greens and nothing else. Why? Well, I did put lots of the personal reasons in the blog Melissa's Juice Journal, but mainly so the body can rehydrate, alkalize, cleanse and rebuild.

At first I thought I'd mainly be drinking carrot, apple, beet juice, which was my favorite juice. But now...that's way too sweet for me. Right now I am drinking Tabouli Juice: tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, carrot, orange bell pepper, onion, garlic, lemon, mint, parsley and greens. It's only day 12 and my tastes have changed that much!

One question that sometimes comes up is: how do you get enough protein?

Here is the answer given by David and Katrina Rainoshek, of www.juicefeasting.com: (I put in bold the main things I am using for protein)

"Protein is made from amino acids as building blocks, and amino acids are in everything. Our best protein sources on the Juice Feast are: the 2 lbs of leafy greens which are approximately 30 percent protein; Blue-Green Algaes such as Chlorella, E3Live AFA, and Spirulina (65% protein); Green Superfood Powder Concentrates such as Vitamineral Green and Pure Synergy; and bee pollen. The World Health Organization estimates that we need around 35 grams of protein each day, and we meet or exceed these protein requirements on a Juice Feast. In fact, I (David) have done weight training and muscle building while Juice Feasting, which would have been impossible with any lack of protein. John Rose, my mentor, has done this for years during long Juice Feasts. Finally, It is commonly known among the world of Plant-Based eaters that if you are consuming enough calories in a day, it is impossible to be protein deficient."

Bee pollen is actually really interesting...Paul Pitchford wrote about it in Healing With Whole Foods, and I actually quoted it in my blog on Day 1, April 26.

I've been keeping track of my juices in the blog, and there are links to other people's juice journeys as well.

No comments: