It's the end of the summer! In Chinese Medicine, this important season is known as "late summer" and it corresponds to the Earth element. In our bodies, the earth element manifests as digestion, and our stomach, spleen and pancreas.
Yellow-orange is the color of the Earth element, as as we look around at the ripening pumpkins and winter squash, corn and grains we get some idea why. Eating yellow/orange food like squash, sweet potatoes and millet is a great way to support the digestion. When digestion is weak all other organ systems are effected, so now is a wonderful time to focus on digestive health.
If experiencing problems in this area, such as
- weight gain or loss
- bloating or gas
- difficulty digestion
- no appetite or too much appetite
- constipation or loose stools
- stomach ache
- heart burn
- slow digestion
Anything you can do to support your digestion will help during this time of year, including:
- Do not overeat at one sitting.
- Limit snacks. Give yourself time to digest your food before eating again.
- Whole foods such as whole grains, beans, vegetables, and fruits are easy on our body and are perfect foods to support digestive health.
- Avoid foods to which you react negatively. For some of us that may be wheat, dairy, sugar, oil.
Acupuncture can do wonders for all kinds of digestive problems; this is one of the things we've had great success with
at the Birch Center. Points on the stomach and spleen meridians (on the legs, feet and abdomen) help regulate, relax and nourish the digestion. Moxa can be applied to warm and strengthen the meridians if necessary, and the relaxing effect of a balancing acupuncture treatment is without compare.
Now is an excellent time for an acupuncture tune up or to begin treatments.
Give us a call today to schedule your appointment: (412) 381-0116.
David and Melissa Sokulski
The Birch Center for Acupuncture
Please sign up for our monthly newsletter!