This delicious coleslaw is a great way to end cravings and balance health and emotions by balancing all five flavors (bitter, sweet, pungent/spicy, salty and sour) in your diet. Certainly you don't always have to eat a balance of flavors in every single dish, but here is one that balances all five flavors beautifully (especially with the apples added at the end!)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (sour)
- 2 Tbsp gluten-free tamari (salty)
- 1 Tbsp brown or deli style mustard (pungent, salty, bitter)
- 1/2 inch nub of ginger (pungent)
- 2 small cloves garlic (pungent)
- handful raw cashews (sweet)
- mustard (pungent, sour)
- water (enough to cover cashews, you can adjust water depending on how thick or thin you'd like the dressing.)
- cabbage (bitter, pungent, sweet)
- beets (bitter, sweet)
- carrots (sweet)
Sliced apples (sweet) were added at the end.
For more information on five flavors, five elements, acupuncture, Chinese medicine, or to set up an appointment give us a call: (412) 381-0116.
In Health and Wellness,
~ Melissa and Dave Sokulski
Birch Center for Health
Please sign up for our monthly newsletter! We have raw recipes, information about Acupuncture and Chinese medicine, and overall wellness information. Thank you!
Want Free Shipping on Vitamix Blenders and Excalibur Dehydrators? Check out our recommendation page to find out how! (You will be taken to our sister site, Food Under Foot, but in a new window.)
Read these articles by Melissa Sokulski, L.Ac. in Natural News for more information: