Blog by Melissa and David Sokulski, L.Acs.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Dandelion greens, again...and garlic mustard

Today I made a big plate of dandelion greens for myself, and it was so good and easy I thought I'd share what I did.

I went out to my yard (which is a north facing slope, so a bit behind in growth, and the dandelion flowers are not blooming yet.)

I saw bunches of dandelion leaves, and when I looked closer, I could see in the middle, way down on the ground, the crown of the dandelion bud getting ready to shoot up. This is supposed to be a delicacy that you can't find in stores. You can only get it by foraging, so I harvested the leaves and crowns of about 7 florets (knowing they'll grow right back...you know dandelions!), washed them, chopped them into small pieces (I love chopping my salad.) I had also picked three leaves of garlic mustard that I found out there.

I splashed on some vinegar (we happened to have some brown rice vinegar, so I chose that), sprinkled some salt and drizzled some olive oil. It was delicious!

Yesterday, for Thankful Thursday, I meant to post about a gratitude journal. I began keeping one myself yesterday. I often reflect on what I am thankful for, but it felt really nice to write it down. I was inspired to do this by last week's class with Eckhart Tolle and Oprah, when they discussed this practice. Tolle said it's really a practice in being in the present moment--to notice what you feel grateful for.

If you feel like there is nothing to be grateful for, you're likely stuck in the past, clinging to the story of all the wrongs and bad things that have happened. Instead, be present and notice around you: the abundance of bird songs this time of year, the earth waking up and turning so green, your loved ones.

Of course, their discussion went the way of gratitude actually changing (raising) your vibration, abundance bringing more abundance, etc. But really, the practice of writing down what I feel thankful for just feels so good and life-affirming, and that is reason enough for me to do it.

No comments: