Birch Center acupuncturist David Sokulski continued seeing acupuncture clients both at our South Side office and in his new location in Gibsonia, at St. Barnabas Health Center (open to the public.)
It's fun to sit down together and review our year, highlighting some of the top moments. I hope you take the time to do it for your year as well! Here are some of this year's highlights we came up with:
1. At the beginning of 2017, Dave and I went to Pittsburgh's Fermentation Festival at Spirit in Lawrenceville, where we took a workshop on making no knead sourdough bread, and hung out with friend Jenneta from Prescription Foods. We were inspired to bake delicious sourdough bread, make our own sauerkraut and kimchi, and brew bubbly kombucha throughout the year. Yum...and so good for you!
2. Spring arrived and Frick Park's Earth Day Celebration moved back to Beechwood Blvd for the unveiling of the NEW Environmental Center! It was an exciting day, and we found lots and lots of wild edibles, including dandelion, clover, burdock, chickweed, cleavers, violet, and so many more!
3. Birch Center acupuncturist Melissa Sokulski spent a weekend in June at the Satchidananda Ashram - Yogaville - meditating, writing, doing yoga, and nourishing herself with healthy, delicious, vegetarian food.
4. Birch Center acupuncturist David Sokulski continued providing acupuncture at Three Rivers Free Clinic for the People, which was mostly held at the Union Project the first Wednesday of each month, though sometimes the location moved around a bit.
5. David also had lots of speaking appearances and offered acupuncture demonstrations this year to people as diverse as Fed Ex employees to Duquesne nursing students.
6. In September we traveled west, and we harvested and enjoyed fresh prickly pear fruit for the first time in Sedona, AZ! Yum!
7. We tried lots of vegan restaurants all around the country, from Maryland to Ohio to Nevada to Arizona! Some of the highlights were:
- Glory Doughnuts in Frederick, MD
- Loving Hut, Columbus, OH
- Loving Hut, Cincinnati, OH
- Banana Leaf in Columbus, OH
- Vegenation, Las Vegas, NV
- Panchos Vegan Tacos, Las Vegas, NV
- Whyld Ass in Flagstaff, AZ
And in Pittsburgh we tried some new vegan restaurants as well:
And our tried and true favorite brunch spot:
8. We were written about in newsletters and websites around Pittsburgh including St. Barnabas's Health Network and South Side Slopes summer newsletter (scroll to page 5 to find us!)
That's about it! We have big plans for 2018, including a YouTube channel promoting health and wellness. We hope you'll stay tuned.
Stay healthy this winter! If you want to come in for acupuncture, just give us a call or text, we'd love to see you! (412) 381-0116
We also have gift certificates available; they make great gifts to friends, loved ones, even yourself! Give the gift of health this year. You can find all the information here.
~ David and Melissa Sokulski
Birch Center for Health
kombucha - pexels.com (free stock photos)
LOTUS (Light Of The Universal Shrine) Temple in Yogaville - Sokulski, 2017
prickly pear - Sokulski, 2017
vegan breakfast at Glory Doughnuts - Sokulski, 2017